Thanks to the winner, Ed Land!
White Chicken Chili – Expanded #4
2 sticks unsalted butter – ¼ lb. each
Coarsely chopped onion – as much as you want (I like 3 – 4 medium large myself)
1/3 cup flour
2 cup vegetable broth – low sodium
2 cups light cream or Half and Half
3 tsp green tabasco sauce
5 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp white pepper
4 cans pinto beans, undrained - or 2 cans pinto and 2 cans pink beans
4 – 4 oz. cans diced green chilies, undrained
2 lbs. chicken, cooked (cubed bite size)
2 cups grated or cubed Monterey Jack … or, I prefer Pepper Jack cheese
2 cup sour cream (OR - unflavored yogurt works very well – fewer calories and more tart)
Warning: Involves a tremendous amount of stirring. Have everything measured, open and ready before you begin. Well, really, not that big a deal, but have your ingredients ready…
1. Cut up chicken bite size (1/2” cubes) and sauté in 1 stick butter, in large soup pot – 8 quart.
Remove cooked chicken, leaving butter and juices.
2. Add 1 stick butter to chicken butter and sauté onion until soft – low heat – don’t scorch it.
3. Add flour to onion, stirring constantly for 2 – 3 minutes without browning.
4. Gradually add broth and cream, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add spices and mix. Then add beans, chilies, chicken, cheese and half of sour cream / yogurt.
6. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Make sure cheese is melted.
7. Stir in sour cream / yogurt just before serving.
Obviously, you can experiment with ingredients and quantities. This recipe fills a 2 gallon crock pot if you want to use for transport or serving.
Views - 328